FCCP held our 40th Anniversary Convening May 10 through 12 in Chicago, Illinois. With the overall theme of Democracy from the Ground Up: The Power of Community, the FCCP team and Convening Planning Committee laid out the following goals of:
- Examining the ways that democracy demands racial justice, and how our identities shape our experiences with civic engagement work;
- Shifting philanthropic practices to create a just and healthy ecosystem;
- Addressing short and long-term shifts in the civic engagement landscape; and
- Exploring new ways to build community in our civic participation ecosystem that allow for meaningful engagement with community and nonprofit leaders.
We accomplished these goals through a wide variety of keynote addresses, plenary, general, and breakout sessions, and, of course, our fun gatherings. Highlights included:
- Welcome Luncheon – We heard from Crystal Echo Hawk and Shelley Davis who both set the tone for the day, grounding us in our work and our location, reflecting on our important past and looking toward a more just future.
- Opening Keynote Address from Maurice Mitchell – Maurice Mitchell posed tough questions about the relationship between philanthropy and capitalism, challenged us to more fully commit to racial equity by sharing power and resources with frontline organizers, and inspired us to continue fighting to deliver on this nation’s unfulfilled promise of democracy.
- 40th Anniversary Celebration Keynote Address from Maya Wiley – Maya Wiley turned up the volume on our call for convening, collaborating, and moving forward together for the next 40 years.
- 40th Anniversary Celebration Performance from Goapele – International recording artist Goapele performed some of her greatest hits as we danced the night away celebrating 40 years of FCCP.
- More than 20 sessions focused on the intersection of racial justice and democracy work. Far too numerous and impactful to call out individually, FCCP’s 40th Anniversary Convening would not be possible without these vital plenary, general, and breakout sessions that drive our content.
For full details on the 40th Anniversary Convening, please view our Anniversary Program Book found here, which includes details on all of our sessions and our speakers’ bios. You can also find our registration website with an interactive agenda here.
Check Out Our 40th Anniversary Convening Highlight Video Today!
Don’t forget to look at our photo gallery found here – and find yourself at the 40th Anniversary Convening!
Thank You to our Sponsors!
FCCP thanks the sponsors of our 40th Anniversary Convening. We have a number of sponsorship opportunities available for your consideration. Your support ensures we bring this convening, rooted in intersectional racial justice and equity, to as many people as possible.
Join us in 2023 in New Orleans!
Don’t forget to sign up to be a Convening Insider for our 2023 Convening in New Orleans. Learn more here.